Roadtrips and Running.....

So last week Tess and I decided to take a road trip and go home to Utah.
A few things:

* Traveling with a newly potty trained 2.5 year old, is not exactly a dream.

* 14 hours actually feels like 50 hours.
* You run out of snacks before you have even left the driveway.
* All the snacks that you let your 2.5 year old pick at the store before you leave are not acceptable when she actually gets in car.
* Idaho actually has some really pretty parts (and a lot of never ending nothingness)
* Random meetings with friends while on a rest stop are the best of all.


*  Every single one of my siblings and their children all have more hair then I do.  My brother has more hair on his face than I have on my head.


 * Losing the key to Eric's car while in Firth, Idaho and thinking you may have to have someone come re-key it for like 1 zillion dollars is not a good feeling.  (we found it, phew)
* You can only listen to Moana and Beauty and the Beast and Elsa so many times before talk radio
sounds amazing.
* Your favorite little guy you taught in first grade is all grown up and going on a mission.....and way taller than you now.  I still love him, and his mom. :) He's going to be a great missionary, and he made me cry.


* I took zero pictures with my friend Marianne who is the cutest pregnant lady ever to be seen. Lame.
* Oregon needs more splash pads! Perfect mom/kid date.
  
   













* Boise is the perfect "1/2 way point" to take a break and see our favorite Nielsen clan.


* Leather seats clean up way easier than cloth.
* Tess talks non-stop until she falls asleep, and then she still talks, in her sleep.
* Mcdonalds french fries solve all problems.
* Snow cones in summer are delicious.

* Tess tells everyone her name, everywhere we go.  "Me Tess.  I go pee-pee." "Me Tess. I tired." "Me Tess. I like ice cream." "Me Tess. I go to poppas." You get the idea.  Now everyone from Eugene,  through Bend and Burns and Ontario and Boise and Burley and all the way to Pleasant Grove know a little bit more about her than they would like.
* Cafe Rio is still delicious.  Thanks EmS for lunch!
* I wouldn't trade the time I had with Tess on this trip for anything, even if she did scream at me for 2 hours after leaving my brothers house/farm in Idaho because I didn't let her bring home a chicken. I let her play in the mud, but apparently that wasn't good enough.   #meanmomaward





So there you have it....but really it was a super enjoyable trip.  It wasn't exactly how I had planned, but it was just what I didn't know I needed.


Words will never really do justice to the things I was able to do, or the emotions I experienced. I was able to see good friends, spend precious time with family and prove to myself that I am in charge of my life and I have a lot of fight left in me.  

Long story short I went to Utah to participate in a 5k.  Big deal you are saying to yourself, why didn't you just stay in Oregon and run a 5k....or better yet, just run on the beautiful path by your house and save yourself a lot of time and money.  I know, I kind of thought the same thing.  This is nothing, I have run 8 marathons and numerous 1/2 marathons -- a 5k is nothing.  In fact the race that I was going home to do (and race isn't really true, because I am nowhere close to "racing shape") was the same race I participated in last year when I had gone home to Utah in June.  It was the AF Canyon Run against cancer.   The interesting part is that last year as I ran the 1/2 marathon I knew something was wrong with my body.  I didn't have the energy I had previously had, and my body hurt.  Not to mention the lump (aka tumor) I could visibly see and feel in my abdomen.  I ran that race, the whole time thinking: "I can do this, no big deal.  AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE CANCER!!"

2 weeks after I got home last summer that all changed, and so did my ability to run or do anything with my body that I really wanted to.  So, going back to participate in this race again (albeit only the 5k this time not the 1/2 marathon) with my family,  and a handful of  dear friends was a very emotional, almost spiritual experience. Weird? Maybe.


I ran almost the entire time, my cousin Carina pushed Tess and Bethany a good friend clear back from my BYU undergrad days that I taught at the same school with years later and her girls (who I taught) ran with me.  We stopped to take a couple of pictures along the way and give me a little break here and there.  All that said, I ran it in 31:57.  Not my fastest but definitely the race that taught me the most about myself.


At the finish line Bethany had a "surprise" for me and their was my face (and hers) from the race last year with a tribute and honoring me.  The tears were rampant.




Bottom line.

It's been a long year.  A really long year, and I needed to do something that proved to myself that I was still alive.  


A few of my friends (Bethany, Matt and Ramie) were pacers for the 1/2 marathon and carried my picture with them as they ran to honor me.  It was one of the kindest gestures I have ever been shown.  It was almost like I was running with them.  My heart was for sure.




My family also participated in the 5k and ran/walked while pushing my niece and nephews in strollers and my older nephews ran. They are pretty much rockstars and my favorite people ever.  






















 I think we all needed something and this was the perfect something.



 A reminder that while chemo might be pumping through this port of mine (like literally as I type this I am in my 18th round of chemo) it is love and fight that is pumping through my heart.  I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.  In fact maybe next year I will run the 10k.  So, all of you should start training and we will do it together.  











Comments

  1. Me me MMMMEEEEEE!! This is the perfect motivation I need to get back into running and healthier! I want to run with you next year (5k, not 10k, eewwww)!! What an awesome experience! You are blessed to have such a great support system who loves you and are routing for you!! Go Team Amber!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ambero! I'm so glad you and Tess made the drive and got to run with all these amazing friends and family members. Seeing this brought tears to my eyes because I love you so much! You do have s lot of fight and a lot of love and what a great reminder your accomplishment is of that!! Well done friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll totally do the 10k with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts