Boston or Bust
Remember years ago when I ran fast?
And I got within 2 minutes of qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
2 minutes you say....that's close.
But really it isn't. 2 minutes is a long time to cut off when you are running 26.2 miles.
So, hear me out.....and then donate for me to be able to run. (read below on all the ways to donate)
If you have been reading my blog, or know me at all you know that I have a passion for running -- the farther the better. When I ran my first marathon almost 20 years ago I realized that I could push my body, challenge the limits that I had set for myself. I could set a goal. I could run, endure pain and complete running a distance that seems abstract and kind of silly. 26.2 miles.
I've run many other races, marathons, and half-marathons since then. I have also faced obstacles that can't be overcome by just taking a run -- but running has always helped.
There is, when running a race, specifically a marathon, sometimes what is referred to as "hitting the wall" -- the point in your race when you just aren't sure if you will be able to keep moving your tired legs. The moment when you wonder why you thought it would be a good idea to pay money to run
any distance.

These last 3 years as I have battled through wall after wall of 65+ chemo treatments and 2 surgeries and countless side-effects I have chosen to keep going. I have chosen to push through the wall. I will finish this marathon of cancer -- I hope that I am only at like mile 2 or 3 because that would mean I have a lot more miles in front of me.
Running has been the place where I have felt the most comfort, the most control and happiness amidst the pain. I feel hope when I run. It helps me feel like me.
Running long distance mirrors the struggle with a terminal illness -- cancer in my case.
I can't eliminate the pain.
I can't ignore the fatigue.
I can't pretend that it isn't a struggle.
But I can keep on moving, putting one front in front of the other.
Slowly, but constantly going forward, toward the finish line.
I can hope and I can live.
I can run and I can choose to do what I love.
So, here is where you come in.
I have been given the chance to run the Boston Marathon through a charity entry with the Boston Medical Center. I fund-raise for them - they give me a bib and I live my dream of running the Boston Marathon on April 20, 2020.



So, here is where you come in! There are a couple of different ways to donate.....and I know that it is always said, but honestly, every dollar is a dollar toward me running the Boston Marathon.
1. Check and cash donations to be matched: Want to make the most out of your donation? I have a donor who will match cash and check donations! Please make checks out to me, or hand me the cash and I will make sure your donation is sent in and matched (please note you will not be issued a tax receipt if you donate this way). You could also Venmo money (Amber-Bell-11) if that is a better option than mailing a check.
Amber Bell
2069 Bonnie Lane
Springfield, OR 97477
2. Directly on my Crowdrise page:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/boston-medical-center-boston-2020/amberbell5
You can also share this link and/or blogpost with your people and that would be super helpful!!
3. Check and cash donations to be issued a tax receipt: If you prefer to have a tax receipt issued, please send check and cash donations directly to Boston Medical Center at the below address. All checks should be made out to Boston Medical Center with my name in the memo (or included as a separate note), so it will be posted to my fundraising page! Bonus: if your employer matches donations, please make sure to submit for a match. Every little bit helps to reach towards my goal!
Boston Medical Center
801 Massachusetts Avenue
Office of Development, 1st Floor
Boston, MA 02118
And I got within 2 minutes of qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
2 minutes you say....that's close.
But really it isn't. 2 minutes is a long time to cut off when you are running 26.2 miles.
But I am close again. And I can only qualify this time in a much different way -- with your help.
and I know that most of you probably don't understand my "need" to run the Boston Marathon. So, hear me out.....and then donate for me to be able to run. (read below on all the ways to donate)
| You can't see our shirts, but my family all humored me by doing a little family fun run on the beach this summer. The shirts said: You think running is bad, you should try cancer. :) |
I've run many other races, marathons, and half-marathons since then. I have also faced obstacles that can't be overcome by just taking a run -- but running has always helped.
There is, when running a race, specifically a marathon, sometimes what is referred to as "hitting the wall" -- the point in your race when you just aren't sure if you will be able to keep moving your tired legs. The moment when you wonder why you thought it would be a good idea to pay money to run
any distance.

These last 3 years as I have battled through wall after wall of 65+ chemo treatments and 2 surgeries and countless side-effects I have chosen to keep going. I have chosen to push through the wall. I will finish this marathon of cancer -- I hope that I am only at like mile 2 or 3 because that would mean I have a lot more miles in front of me.
Running has been the place where I have felt the most comfort, the most control and happiness amidst the pain. I feel hope when I run. It helps me feel like me. Running long distance mirrors the struggle with a terminal illness -- cancer in my case.
I can't eliminate the pain.
I can't ignore the fatigue.
I can't pretend that it isn't a struggle.
But I can keep on moving, putting one front in front of the other.
Slowly, but constantly going forward, toward the finish line.
I can hope and I can live.
I can run and I can choose to do what I love.
So, here is where you come in.
I have been given the chance to run the Boston Marathon through a charity entry with the Boston Medical Center. I fund-raise for them - they give me a bib and I live my dream of running the Boston Marathon on April 20, 2020.

So, here is where you come in! There are a couple of different ways to donate.....and I know that it is always said, but honestly, every dollar is a dollar toward me running the Boston Marathon.
1. Check and cash donations to be matched: Want to make the most out of your donation? I have a donor who will match cash and check donations! Please make checks out to me, or hand me the cash and I will make sure your donation is sent in and matched (please note you will not be issued a tax receipt if you donate this way). You could also Venmo money (Amber-Bell-11) if that is a better option than mailing a check.
Amber Bell
2069 Bonnie Lane
Springfield, OR 97477
2. Directly on my Crowdrise page:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/boston-medical-center-boston-2020/amberbell5
You can also share this link and/or blogpost with your people and that would be super helpful!!
3. Check and cash donations to be issued a tax receipt: If you prefer to have a tax receipt issued, please send check and cash donations directly to Boston Medical Center at the below address. All checks should be made out to Boston Medical Center with my name in the memo (or included as a separate note), so it will be posted to my fundraising page! Bonus: if your employer matches donations, please make sure to submit for a match. Every little bit helps to reach towards my goal!
Boston Medical Center
801 Massachusetts Avenue
Office of Development, 1st Floor
Boston, MA 02118
Let's do this!!!



Comments
Post a Comment