Semi-Okay

I have 4 brothers.
(and 2 sisters but this is mostly about my brothers)
They are great, usually.
They love everything about me, usually.

Well except for one thing.
They hate my short hair.
See how both my sisters have beautiful long hair.....and this picture is my favorite because it shows the personalities of my siblings. Derek is making a face, and Heather is like "am I part of this craziness?"

This used to be a serious source of stress of tears and unnecessary opinions being shared every time we were together as a family.

Once one of my brothers, who will remain unnamed (except for that his name starts with D and ends with erek) told me that I was: "the only girl he knew that looked semi-okay with short hair"
Semi-okay

Such a compliment, right?
Everyone wants to look semi-okay at best.
From one of my brothers it was sorta like a compliment.  I looked semi-okay.
For years I was sure that the reason I wasn't married was because I had short hair.
Eric has been super complimentary of my short hair -- I mean he sorta has to be.  He's my husband. 

My hair is way shorter now than it was when my brother who starts with D and ends with erek told me I looked semi-okay.  Only this time, I don't think any of my brothers -- even Derek -- would tell me my hair looks semi okay.  Right guys?
Note to my brothers: this is where you comment on this blogpost and tell me how amazing I look and that you are sorry you ever made rude comments about my short hair.  


However, sometimes when people ask how I am I would like to respond with "semi-okay."
That's how I feel.  Semi-okay.
What then is the definition of semi-okay?
Good question.

If okay means like half-way between good and bad then semi-okay is like half-way between good and okay or half-way between bad and okay depending on the day.   

(that is a lot of hyphens in one confusing sentence).  Did you read it again?  Ya, me too. It still isn't a great definition. 

Last night I had a big meltdown to Eric. I was more on the side of semi-not-okay then semi-okay.
It all just came crashing down.



Want to know what semi-okay really looks like?

I get my kids ready for Halloween and wonder how many more halloween celebrations I will have with them. It's semi-okay.

I watch Tess jump in her aunt corrine's arms and feel both gratitude that she loves her so much (both ways) and jealousy that Corrine is most likely going to get to experience more of life with Tess than I am.  It's semi-okay.

Eric and I sit down to find a movie on Netflix and while I know he would prefer something action oriented he is thinking of me and says I can pick something.  All the movies I like (which are hallmark or hallmark like in nature) have something to do with a spouse dying or a terminal illness.  We watch an action movie.  It's semi-okay.

I try to get to bed early so that I can get up and take a walk or maybe even a slow run -- it's been 3 months since I have put on my running shoes.  I don't sleep and my feet and hands hurt so much when I wake up that I know going on a walk is not a good idea.  It's semi-okay.

I get a cold and I have to call the doctor just to double check that I don't have to come in.  Thankfully my white blood counts aren't too low, so I'm safe. For now.  It's semi-okay.

I look in the mirror and see my dry, rashy skin and short, patchy hair -- accentuated by my non-muscular, bony body.  It's semi-okay.

I have someone coming to help me clean my house every couple of weeks.  It still feels dirty to me.  I really dislike not being able to have things clean like I love them. I feel like a wreck that I can't even keep my own house clean.  It's semi-okay.  

I let my children watch way more television than should ever be watched.  Gone are the days of the "no tv deal" (Lauren a couple of years ago went without watching tv for a full year -- incentivized by a cash deal from Eric).  I would have nothing to keep them entertained if they didn't watch tv.  It's semi okay. 

I don't call my sisters anymore to just chat -- it is like our relationship is strained because nobody feels like they can complain about their own semi-okay life if mine is yucky too.  It's semi-okay.  

I've taken a nap, with Tess, for the last 3 days each afternoon. I think I fall asleep faster than she does. Gone are the days of getting anything productive done, ever.  Maybe this is actually just called motherhood and has nothing to do with cancer.  :)  It's semi-okay. 

So, reality is that most days I only really feel semi-okay.  The constant physical reminder of the fact that I am living a life I don't want to be is probably the hardest.  That is what really makes it semi-okay.  

It is a constant battle to stay positive and find things to look forward to and not give in to the semi-okay, but some days I just don't want to pretend that everything is great.  And then I will climb out of my semi-okay state and put a smile on my face and see all the great reasons I have to love my life.

But right now I just feel and look semi-okay.  
So, in order to end this post on a positive note how about some of our fantastic, better than great family pictures we got taken!?

Compliment away.
I mean Tess doesn't have very much hair either and she is way more cute than just semi-okay.  

















This post is semi-okay.  
Thanks for reading it to the end. .
Now to finish off my week before things get semi-not-okay next week on my 5th round of chemo.







Comments

  1. Amber, you're still amazing and an inspiration to all of us. You feel semi-okay when many of the rest of us would be in an all-out despair mode. No one expects you to be "delighted" with this frightful experience you are having, but you're dealing with it in the best way I've ever seen. You're recording your feelings, sharing your faith, showing gratitude for tender mercies along the way, and endearing all of us to you even more. Yeah, and with all that, I'm sure you feel it's only semi-okay to be this wonderful model to all of us who read your blog and pray for you daily. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, it is completely ok (or semi-okay) for you to not be positive all the time. You are so strong, and trying to be stronger for all of us. Break down, cry, scream and GET MAD!!!! You are allowed, and we will all love you through it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how real you are. No sugar coating. Just real. I think you are very brave! And I think you look great with short hair! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how we hang on to stuff our siblings say to us....even years later. IT'S OK to be semi ok. it's OK to feel whatever you feel. all feelings are valid and semi ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both, you and Tess, look way better than semi-okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad we got to spend a little time together yesterday. Even if our girls weren't too happy. I could tell you were struggling and I am sorry I didn't know what to say or do. I admire your strength even if you don't feel like you have any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber you totally rock the short hair and look amazing! Love ya sis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Amber, your beauty is in your spirit, your faith, and the deep love for your family. Your hair, your inability to "move" a zillion miles an hour are frustrating side effects of the crummy chemo. I am so sad your little body has to bear so much to fight this fight. Please know there are daily prayers for your recovery, and more small moments to notice and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful family! You are truly amazing. I think about you and pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I echo all of your sentiments. I'm sorry that you are struggling, but you are holding yourself together so well from an outsider's perspective. Let me know if you want to get together sometime this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amber, you are amazing. I honestly can't imagine doing what you're doing alongside being a mom. I think the semi-okay days are sometimes the hardest, because you're not sick enough to sleep all day, but not well enough to do much. It's mentally and emotionally challenging. It's depressing. But, it's normal, and it's ok to sometimes just say that things stink. Hugs and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So on the short hair -- it is better than semi OK because it reminds me of the darling little girl you were that gave Yoda a run for his money in the hair business. I loved it then and I love it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love short hair on girls. . .of all ages! I thought the semi-okay definition covered it really well. Hang in there! We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your family pictures are full of cuteness and personality! It's a great feeling when a photographer is able to capture personalities.

    It sounds like semi-okay is the right word for all that is going on. You are brave on so many levels and your bravery in sharing your thoughts and feelings is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amber you are awesome, the short hair looks great on you! You are beautiful!!! (this is from Derek I am signed in as Ash though)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is from a friend of Coley's. I saw your post when I was looking at pics of all of her great stuff. I don't want to intrude on your privacy, I just wanted a face to put with the name, so as I pray for YOU, I will feel a personal attachment to you. I can't barely say the word cancer so I call it the "C" word. Not wanting to give it any power. I will be praying and checking back to how you are doing if that is OK?
    God Bless You on this journey in your life...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, Semi-okay, semi-not-okay, it all becomes part of a beautiful masterpiece and weaving of your life. You are doing it! Love your faith and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know you at all, but a friend posted a link to your blog on FB. My son was diagnosed with cancer last year, and your posts are everything real about cancer. The semi-okay is real. I can't do much way out here in Minnesota except send love and prayers. (I am LDS, too.). Hang in there...it is such a long hard road but it did get better for us eventually. It finally got easier eventually. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts