Surviving the Teens.....

I was an awkward teenager once.  
Seriously. 
Just believe me. 

It was a hard time for me surviving the teens.  
I had bad hair
acne
and 
really interesting clothing choices.
(remember when sunflowers were all the rage, and hyper color shirts oh and doc martins and girbaud jeans....I didn't have any doc martins, or girbaud jeans but man I wanted both.  My parents told me we weren't made of money. I get it now.)

It is a time I do not ever really want to live again.  
and am dreading the girls getting to the "teen years" -- and having to stand back and just watch the awkwardness.  Maybe they won't be like me.  Maybe they will be like Eric....who according to his own self-assessment wasn't awkward, at all.  
You can compare yearbook pictures and come up with your own ideas about that. 

Anyway.  It looks like I am once again going to have to "survive the teens" -- just in a different way.  

I thought I was done with treatments at 12 rounds of this chemo, as that has been the plan from the beginning.  (And I looked pretty good for those 12 rounds if I do say so myself!) 

Let's take a walk down memory lane....such great memories. :) 
Treatment #1
Treatment #2

 Treatment #3

Treatment  #4

Treatment #5

 Treatment #6

Treatment #7

Treament #8

Treatment #9

Treatment  #10

Treatment #11


Post Treatment #12 
(I forgot to take a picture at the chemo center so snapped this one on my computer - real life, no sleep, feeling yucky, between puking sessions photo)


So 12 and done, right!!?? 
Nope. 

Doc thinks I am doing so well on this treatment, that he wants me to try and push for 6 more.  

that is: 
13
14
15
16
17
and
18

if you couldn't figure that out.  

I am going through the horrible, awkward teens again.  
Hopefully not with acne and bad hair, but really anything is possible.  I mean, my hair is not great right now and my skin leaves a lot to be desired and my clothing choices -- well, I would like to think I have come a long way since pegged jeans and oversized t shirts, so maybe that is my one saving grace. 


I have a feeling we have some hard times ahead still even if I survive the teens. 
Maybe for a long time.  
I would probably be grateful if the hard was over when the teen treatment numbers ended....but then the treatment just changes and some new/different chemo is pumped into my little body.  I think this struggle may last for a while, and I know I should be grateful for that, because it means I am alive, but man it is hard.  So hard.  I don't want to really live my life hooked up to a chemo pump and send my kids to family every other week when I can't function.  It is lame, but I am alive. 

For entertainment sake I should post a picture of each teen treatment with a corresponding picture or two of me at that age as an awkward teenager.  It would give us all something to look forward to! Better yet, how about all of you send me pictures of yourselves in the teen years and we can all reminisce and laugh and forget about cancer for a while.  

I have a scan on Tuesday next week and then results on Wednesday.  
I will be sure to update and let all of you know how things look.  

And I will just leave you with these yearbook pictures of Eric and myself as 17 year olds; circa the late 90's. 
Wow. 




It's a wonder I was single into my 30's right? 
I look better fighting cancer than I did in High School.  Just saying.  




Comments

  1. Wow...Wow...Wow!!!! That would not be an easy thing to hear when you thought this chemo part was finally over!!!I think it's time for a phrase from
    Come Come Ye Saints..."fresh courage take"! Be praying you will find it and attack it just like you have the past 12!!! You really are remarkable Amber. You inspire me and make me determined to do the hard stuff more faithfully. And BTW you can say what you want. I think your were adorable at 17! Love you sweet friend. You and yours continue to be in our prayers! ONWARD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry! It's always so hard when you get your mind set on being done, and then surprise--and not even a good surprise, obviously! But, you will do it, and you will do it with strength and grace, because that is who you are. And honestly, I have never seen a cancer patient look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look and are amazing! I wish I had some of your sense of style! I agree the teens can be horribly awkward and painful emotionally, but that is the only bridge to who you are today which is pretty flippin awesome! One of the necessary evils 😂 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. I am sorry you have to be a fighter. I am grateful you are such an example. I am in awe at how brave you have been. You are truly remarkable.

    Want a picture from high school? Won't be hard for me because Geoff carries my senior photo in his wallet. Apparently I peaked way back when! 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're a rockstar! Well, at least you make chemo look as glamorous as chemo can look. Mike used to come straight home to bed and assume the rolly poly bug position only to unroll to have his pump changed. And look at you all writing and posting pictures. And, I knew you in high school and you're were totally cool. I felt cool just being around you. And you were/are adorable! You have to believe me because I would never lie about my favorite Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love reading your blog. In fact, it's the only blog I care to read. It really should get published into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Amber, we all wish we could hug you and protect you from this scary experience...but just know, some "teens" may be lonely, but you will have hundreds and hundreds of friends praying you through these next six treatments. Your courage inspires us all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was probably the most awkward teen ever. Not sure I've ever outgrown it. I'm so sorry you have to do more Chemo. But you are here, and still fighting. I think about you daily! You are amazing and strong. Hang in there my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your comparison of reliving the teen years! We pray for you every night (even my younger children whom you have not met.) Sending large amounts of hope and happiness your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber, I'm pretty sure you don't know me but our husbands are cousins. I've been reading your blog from the beginning & our family prays for you multiple times daily. Our 6 year old, Aurora, is the best at reminding us all that we need to "pray for Amber & Eric & their family". I'm sorry for your disappointing news but admire your perspective & gratitude for being alive--something many of us take for granted. Thank you for your strength & example. We're rooting for you!! Sending love your way!
    -Kiara Deming

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brock says, "It's because she's so fit. Even going through chemo she's fit as a horse. That's why." Yeah... Awkward compliments for awkward stages! You're a horse Amber! A horse!! You got this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts