It's like Disneyland only not.....
So, tomorrow is the day friends.
Tomorrow.
(I know if you were counting down with me you are probably super confused because your countdown says chemo day isn't tomorrow but Wednesday....well rest assured your countdown is not flawed. The day got switched so that I could actually see my oncologist on treatment days, so Tuesday is the new Wednesday -- kind of like leggings are my new pants since I can't wear any other pants without them falling off -- it's sorta ridiculous).
Tomorrow -- in my leggings, I will be rocking the first chemo treatment of many.
I say many, not because I want to do chemo for the rest of my life, but because at this point as many as I can get means that I am alive for that much longer.
Tomorrow. It sort of seems like the end -- and at the same time a new beginning. It's like I have been looking forward to the day, and dreading it all at once. Looking forward, because I just want to see what this "new life" is going to look like for us and dreading it because I don't really feel ready to face this "new life" and what it is going to look like for us.
Eric and I were explaining to the girls last night a little bit about how things were going to function this week and what might possibly happen. Trying to find a way to understand, Lauren said:
"So, it's sort of like you are going to Disneyland for the first time and you don't really know what it is going to be like, but when you get there it is better than you thought......only, I guess this is like Disneyland without the rides. So, it's like Disneyland, only it's not."
Well, I guess that's one way to look at it.
It's like Disneyland, only it's not.
Oh, to be a kid again.
Actually, I don't want to be my kids.
Truth be told they are really struggling right now.
Lauren is internalizing EVERYTHING and trying to be perfect and fix everything and do everything and be an 11 year old grown up and not ever show an emotion. She writes in her journal and draws a lot of pictures She is me 26 years ago. Literally. (part of me wants to read what she's writing, but I think it would be kind of selfish of me -- she will share when she's ready, hopefully)
Natalie is angry, and confused and really struggling -- which for her turns into lashing out and shutting down and acting a lot younger than her almost 9 year old self. She told me tonight that she already decided that for her birthday she just wants me to feel better. Her birthday is on Halloween (and it just so happens I have chemo on my birthday a week before that, so let's just hope and pray I can give the appearance of feeling better by the 31st). Maybe I just need to think of a present that will make her forget about me feeling better?! Any suggestions?
Tess is not even 2 years old. Not even 2. She still touches my incision scar and now the chemo port and just says "owie mommy, owie" over and over again, all day long. Well, unless she is throwing a tantrum or being 2 -- and then she just bangs her head against my chest (where the port is) and it really hurts. But she's hurting more, so I just pretend it doesn't hurt me..
This is tough stuff for all of us. It's not Disneyland folks, but you better believe that we will make it back there and celebrate any small amount of progress made. (I don't actually love Disneyland but if it makes my kids happy then I'm all for it. If it helps them to forget about what is happening here then for sure -- lets do it.)
So, I will be sure to report how it goes tomorrow.
Here's to the first day of a new adventure and looking forward to an actual trip to Disneyland, with rides.
And just because this blog needs a little happiness, how about pictures of the time last November when we actually did take a trip to Disneyland.
| This was before Tess fell asleep, on the teacups. |
![]() |
| Tess on her first birthday last year at disneyland. |


Love you Amber darling. Now I have Annie's Tomorrow song in my head along with the many prayers & thoughts & memories I have of you. I love your light and love for life and the Lord, and your sense of humor, and ability to write about all this. I think of and pray for you & that beautiful family of yours daily! And I count you among the great blessings of my life. Thanks for letting me be your roommate. Love you.
ReplyDeleteNot to compare this to cancer. But Lana was Natalies age when I was divorced. Lana wrote in her journal about things that are happy and things that hurt and were unhappy. I think it really helped her. Miss your sweet girls.
ReplyDeleteI don't know you, but your story is a beautiful one I know that sounds odd really. But in its odd way it is. You have a beautiful family and I know it will pull together and be stronger on the other end. I'll pray for you all and continue for several months and hope you make it to Disneyland soon. God bless you all.... Remember to Dance, it helps heal the soul..... ♡♡♡♡♡ the heart, and the family all at the same time, and who cares who's watching.....
ReplyDeleteI don't know you, but your story is a beautiful one I know that sounds odd really. But in its odd way it is. You have a beautiful family and I know it will pull together and be stronger on the other end. I'll pray for you all and continue for several months and hope you make it to Disneyland soon. God bless you all.... Remember to Dance, it helps heal the soul..... ♡♡♡♡♡ the heart, and the family all at the same time, and who cares who's watching.....
ReplyDeleteYou guys are in our prayers and thoughts! I pray you feel ok and that your kids can feel peace. I pray you will all feel peace as this new normal settles. I like the comment above to dance. I love dancing alone and letting go. It really does help happiness flow.
ReplyDeleteTrying to think of a gift for her on her birthday. Maybe if you could go to lunch at school with her? Or take her out to lunch for some one on one time. If you're feeling ok :) Love you, Amber!
I love you Amber, and I pray that it will be better than you fear! If you ever need someone to come sit with you during treatment I can do that. :)
ReplyDeletePrayers and Heartfelt thoughts go with you this day...May Heavenly Father's Tender mercies comfort you through these Chemo days...May they fly by Quickly! HUGS! The Later Clan
ReplyDeleteI have no words. Just that I am here for you. Xoxox
ReplyDeletePrayers and love to you!
ReplyDeleteLove you Amber and family. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteI've been talking to my boss a lot about your situation lately because he's been through it with his wife, almost the exact situation. He was divorced with two boys, about the same age as Lauren and Natalie are, they had a baby girl together that wasn't two yet and she was battling breast cancer that turned into liver cancer. So I've been asking him a lot of questions like "what helped Kari during chemo, what helped you while supporting Kari, what can I do so far away to help this family and their struggle, etc" he's given me great answers and great insight. Today I asked him what can they do for their kids and explained this blog post. His first response was get them into counseling now, don't wait. He said he waited with his boys after his wife passed away and they really needed it before then to deal with her sickness and eventually her death. He said especially Natalie where she's so confused and angry she needs to find a good outlet to let out that anger and talk to someone to work through her confusion and feelings she doesn't know how to address. I thought that was some great advice and hopefully helpful to you!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling okay and not like you've just had chemo!! I am thinking about you and praying for you!! Love you!
I just caught up on all of your posts. Cancer is the worst, and it breaks my heart that you are going through this. I love your tender mercy Tuesday's and the perspective that brings. You and your family are in my prayers daily.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me but we have mutual friends and I also have stage 4 cancer. The only way to get through it is with humor and a positive outlook. You seem to be doing well. Chemo sucks, but at least it's an excuse to really take it easy and rest and get help. Use that excuse. I'm praying for you.
ReplyDelete