Let the countdown begin

I've always been a countdown maker.  I LOVE the anticipation of looking forward to things.  The first day of school, birthdays, Christmas, family reunions, getting a pedicure (which needs to happen soon my friends, soon), seeing old roommates, a big race, really anything! I think that the anticipation of something is half the fun! I have been known to make a countdown chain or two for any of these said events.  

Who needs an advent calendar when you have a gingerbread man to eat each night for 24 nights in a row?! Or maybe the countdown chain with motivational quotes for each day leading up to a race? Or a favorite  piece of candy for each day with a reason I love Eric leading up to an anniversary -- cheesy but oh so romantic of him me to think of.  

The trick with countdowns is that you do not want to start so early that it loses its appeal before the said event arrives and not too late that you don't have time to sufficiently anticipate the celebration ahead.  It is almost like a fine tuned science.  (Note:  You also want to make sure any small children (or husbands who may want to just eat a whole bag of candy all at once and not even notice that you have unwrapped and written personal messages on each piece) understand that this is a ONE at a time sort of activity).  Just saying.  

Which, drumroll........brings us to our newest countdown!  

The CHEMO COUNTDOWN!!!! 

Fun right? You are jealous? Don't be.  Only a select few can be so lucky as we are here at the Bell house.  

The countdown has begun, and to add to the anticipation we don't even really know what fun surprises this chemo day might bring for us -- it adds to the fun! 

Maybe I should create a "what will chemo do to amber poll" and have a reward for the winners!! You can come visit me if you win by guessing all the correct side effects -- all expenses paid and you get to come take care of me (and deal with said side effects). 

Honestly though, I have no idea how our lives are going to be altered or what chemo will do to my body. I have gone to a chemo class and I have talked to others who have also done the "chemo cocktail" I will be doing, but every person is unique and I don't really know how my uniqueness will look.  

Some of the possible side effects include (in no apparent order): 

vomiting and nausea (so like being pregnant but not having a baby at the end)
diarrhea (which is like the worst.....I need a bigger bathroom and a comfier toilet seat and a bathroom rug that is actually fun to lay on)
hair loss or thinning (apparently, hair loss is not a guarantee with this type of chemo, but a possibility)  
loss of appetite (as if I need to lose any more weight)
mouth sores and extreme sensitivity to hot and cold (I've got nothing to say about this but yuck)
neuropathy or loss of sensation in your hands and feet (this is the one that actually has me in tears more often than not -- remember how I am a "musician" -- term used loosely -- so I guess I will be listening to a lot more good music instead of performing it myself) 
fatigue (an excuse to nap often)
mental and emotional distress (this one is a given for me.....we all know I am mental and distressed all the time, so just add it on to the instability) 
weakened immunity (back to my first year teaching where I caught EVERYTHING that came to school)
who knows what else? (this is the category they throw in just to cover their bases) 

So in true countdown fashion there are  10 LONG days until Chemo day is here. 10!!!

Then, lucky for me. after a 4 hour stay at the chemo center I get to come home, staying hooked up to chemo for 48 hours before returning to the chemo center to drop off my pump and wait for the side effect fun to begin.  (that is, if the side effect fun doesn't start right away)

Let the countdown begin.  

Comments

  1. Heres to hoping your countdown brings you just that much closer to a cure (fyi: this is April Mitchell. M6 login says Nathaniel because I kept his mission blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres to hoping your countdown brings you just that much closer to a cure (fyi: this is April Mitchell. M6 login says Nathaniel because I kept his mission blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor is doing chemo... she says it takes about four days before she's feeling better again. I'll pray it's short term like that for you too, and not long and drawn out on "any of the above." And I hope I'm the winner so I can come help take care of you! (no matter the side effects) Love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts