News and Questions

So when I taught school (which feels like it was 100 years ago -- really my last year teaching was just in 2012, but it still feels like an eternity ago) I was lucky enough to teach Kindergarten- 2nd grade.  I personally believe that these are the best ages to teach.  5-8 year olds are charming, loving, honest, excited about learning and a wealth of knowledge.  If you have ever worked with small children (or have/had small children of your own) then you know that children have a hard time telling with the difference between a question and a comment is.  Often I would respond to a waving hand in the air (usually in the middle of a lesson) with: "_________do you have a question?" to which I would usually hear the reply.  "Yes!" proceeded by a story about their dog or their favorite food or  their grandma or how they had new underwear or what they were excited to do at recess or a wealth of other really non-pertinent information.



So, in order to combat the question craziness we always had at the beginning of the day -- we would do a little chat and it went something like this:  News and Questions of the Day who has something important to say!? They then could take turns standing up to say "I have news" or "I have a question"

While I was asked a lot of really great questions in my 13 years of teaching -- mostly about my personal life or appearance -- I really loved the "news" that I got to hear. I heard about marital disputes and bad haircuts and current events and excitement about vacations and siblings who were in trouble and bodily functions and so much more.....all from the perspective of a 5-8 year old child.  It was usually the highlight of my day, and the conversation during lunchtime in the faculty room.

I was thinking about our "News and Questions of the Day" this morning and what I would share during news and questions.....and I probably would have my hand flailing in the air, jumping off the color block rug to share my news or questions with anyone who would listen (isn't that what this blog is, really, just a big colorblock rug full of friends supporting me in my news and questions?!)

So chant with me:

"News and Questions of the day.....who has something important to say?!"


I have news:  I am losing more hair everyday.
I have a question:  Do I just shave it all off or wait for it to get more patchy and noticeable?

I have news: I am eating a little bit more.  Slowly and surely.
I have a question: Why am I still not gaining weight back if I am eating more?

I have news:  You can be constipated and have diarrhea at the same time.  (I warned you that news and questions often consisted of comments and questions about bodily functions)
I have a question: Can we still be friends now that I just told you this?

I have news: My hands hurt -- all. the. time. - but mostly when I try to use them.
I have a question: Is this ever going to go away so I can play the piano or wash my dishes without being in pain? (maybe I don't actually want to wash my dishes, but I really miss music)

I have news:  I am tired.  like exhausted tired after doing virtually nothing.
I have a question: Is that just because I have an almost 2 year old who thinks sleep is for other people or because my body is crazy busy fighting cancer?

I have news:  My aunt and uncle and cousin came to visit last week before my birthday and it was wonderful!
I have a question:  Do you guys know how cool and supportive my family is?!

I have news:  Chemo on your birthday week is super lame.
I have a question: Are birthdays getting less fun the older you get or is it just me?

I have news: I only puked once on my birthday and it was before the crazy tractor ride I thought would be a good idea to take with my kids at the pumpkin patch, with my chemo pump and a weak stomach.
I have a question: Do you have any fun birthday memories like puking or crazy hay rides?

I have news: I am tired of feeling like my life rotates around chemo and doctors appointments.
I have a question: Do you think they are tired of me too?

I have news:  I make it out of my house and out and about more often now.
I have a question:  Will I always feel self conscious about seeing people and not knowing how to respond to their well wishes or questions appropriately?

I have news:  I made it to my 37th birthday.  Super old.  Almost 40, right friends?!
I have a question:  How many more birthdays can I count on?

I have news:  Tess turns 2 next week.
I have a question:  When did my baby turn into a toddler?

I have news:  I am doing the young women personal progress program again.  (for those of you who aren't members of the church I attend, this is just a youth program focused on qualities that young women ages 12-18 complete, if they choose to, that gives them direction of scriptures to read and values to focus on to navigate the tricky waters of youth)
I have a question:  Does anyone want to join me in my focused efforts to become more Christlike? We could keep each other on track.

I have news:  Cancer is super lame. That's not really news.
I have a question: Is there anyone who likes cancer? That's not really a question.

I have news:  I don't really have any "new news" and won't until around Thanksgiving when they will do another PET scan to see if the cancer has spread, shrunk or stabilized at al.
I have a question: What fun new adventures will we have between now and then?

I have news:  I am open for questions!!!

Seriously though, I know that a lot of you have asked me questions about my treatment or how things are going and I realize that there are probably a lot more questions out there.  Please don't hesitate to ask me how I am or what my treatment schedule is or if I know anything about the progress my body is or isn't making.  I promise I won't be offended by any of your questions.  

Sometimes it is therapeutic to talk about my news -- and sometimes I don't want to talk about it at all.  So fire away with your own news and questions and then when I feel like answering I will.  And if you don't have any questions -- that is great too.  Share me with some good news, I always like hearing about other people's lives and you don't need to keep your news from me just because you are worried that your life is better than mine -- it isn't.  
I am really grateful for this life, and I want you to be grateful for yours too. 




Comments

  1. Hi! This is me commenting. This was my favorite post by far, mainly because your last sentence was spot on. I'll do a spiritual check in with you! I've been struggling with meaningful personal prayer and a bit of jealousy. Oh, and I've been completely unmotivated for like a month {maybe the rain?}. In other news, turns out my kids love taco soup. Wait a bit longer on the hair. I'm sure it's not much thinner than mine and I'm not even doing chemo. I will loan Elizabeth to play the piano for you! She basically plays all.of.the.time. That's appealing, right? See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this. I love you. And I do have more questions. Will you let me know if you need a visitor? I would come in a heart beat. Does Tess take naps? I am sure you need them! Do you have to wear the pump all week? Or how long does it take the treatment to infuse?

    Your hair: what do YOU want to do? Your new cut is cute! Shaving will make you cold. You may want to hang onto your hair for a few more weeks. Is your head tender, or should we buy some cute hats and wraps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting news and questions of the day tomorrow morning! See - you are totally still teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber - I hate that you have cancer. I love that you are writing. You are an awesome writer! And your styles and formats are so fun to read.
    News: I discovered the Reddit comment about No Zero Days and I love it and am trying to make changes in my life and it is helping!
    Question: what's your favorite family tradition you've started with your little family?
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber as one of the people above stated..."You are still teaching"! You are teaching all of us to love the life we have and live it to the fullest for none of us know what tomorrow holds. Question?: Why didn't you start this blog before you got cancer? I love your style of writing and expressing your feelings!! I look forward to reading everything you write and I'm always looking to see if there is anything new out there. I should work on finishing my young women's that I've started over and over again, and never finished just to show my daughter, and grand daughters that I can do it too. Being tired is probably just what your suppose to be with what your going through and with little Tess who is so smart and afraid she's going to miss something if she goes to sleep. I pray you will have the strength to keep on fighting and that among the hard days you have some good ones to give you a breather. Love you and pray for you, I always put your name in the temple I'm sure your name is in quite a few temples that dot this earth. Stay strong sweet Amber.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts