The colon cancer Alphabet Book
I love alphabet books.
In fact I just counted on my well organized, always put back in the right spot, easy to find bookshelf and I currently own can find 38 alphabet books.
Not too shabby.
So, I thought I would make you your own alphabet book of sorts, blog style.
Enjoy!
(that is a command....you must enjoy reading this, because I stayed up half the night typing it)
The Colon Cancer Alphabet Book
All about (my take on) colon cancer from A-Z
written by Amber Bell
Illustrated by images found on google
A is for Anxiety.
Anxious and crazy is how you will feel. No need to deny it, this stuff is the real deal.
B is for Bathroom.
Bathrooms and toilets, your new best friend. Often you will feel that the time in that tiny room will never come to an end.
C is for colon.
Your colon, is after all, what started this mess.....and how it got this crazy is anyone's guess.
D is for drugs
Drugs and prescriptions, always trying something new. What side effects will this one have? What will it do?
E is for Elephant
You know that one in the room.....the one that nobody and everybody wants to talk about every chance that they get. Just talk about guys -- We all can handle it --no need to fret.
F is for Fix It
Which is what we would all like to do. Just fix the problem -- make my body brand new.
G is for genetic.
Genetic was what they were sure this cancer would be. I'm the anomaly guys -- no family history of colon cancer for me.
H is for Hair loss
These locks are staying, for at least a little while. And when they come out -- we will rock it bald, and in style.
I is for Incision
From below your belly button all the way to your chest . Just be glad that you only have to see me while dressed.
J is for Journey
This is yours now - and cancer will play a big part. Sharing it with others will help calm your mind and your heart.
This is yours now - and cancer will play a big part. Sharing it with others will help calm your mind and your heart.
K is for Kindness
Kindnesses will come to you and your family at hurricane speed. Everyone will be helping -- with whatever it is that you need.
Kindnesses will come to you and your family at hurricane speed. Everyone will be helping -- with whatever it is that you need.
L is for Lymph-nodes
Yep, you can find cancer in these little guys too. If it has spread to your lymph-nodes, you are like me, one of the lucky few.
M is for Malignant
Cancerous is what it means -- It's the word that you don't want to be told. You can do it -- just face it square on and be bold.
N is for Neuropathy
A side effect of chemo as evil as it sounds -- Sensitivity, loss of feeling and pain in your hands and your feet. Making the misery totally complete.
O is for Oncologist
A doctor who specializes in using big words, that you don't quite understand. He or she helps you navigate this new journey that you never in your wildest dreams would have planned.
![]() |
| This is my actual oncologist -- nice guy. |
P is for Pump
(and it's best friend the port)
(and it's best friend the port)
Brought home for the good times -- 48 hours to be exact. Carried around like a friend while your cancer cells are simultaneously attacked.
Q is for Questions
You'll have zillions, I know -- you'll ask how, when,why where and what. But it all boils down to one answer -- yep, you have cancer in your gut and your butt.
R is for Remission
The word that you will wait (maybe years and years) to hear. Not if it's stage IV - then it's "maintenance" you are hoping for, instead of the alternative -- your worst fear.
S is for Surgeries
Getting cut open and explored is the new normal now. You won't know how to survive the recoveries, but you'll do it, somehow.
Getting cut open and explored is the new normal now. You won't know how to survive the recoveries, but you'll do it, somehow.
T is for Tumors
When they're plural and malignant that's sorta bad news. Remember though - they aren't your fault - this is nothing that you or anyone would willfully choose.
When they're plural and malignant that's sorta bad news. Remember though - they aren't your fault - this is nothing that you or anyone would willfully choose.
U is for Understand
Understand why this is happening, you probably won't. Just trust that the Lord knows things that you don't.
V is for Visit
You will visit the hospital more frequently now -- appointments, infusion and the occasional call to triage scare. Don't worry though, you will make lots of good friends of the doctors and nurses who help you while there.
You will visit the hospital more frequently now -- appointments, infusion and the occasional call to triage scare. Don't worry though, you will make lots of good friends of the doctors and nurses who help you while there.
W is for Weight Loss
Just look at the scale as the numbers drop to a pre-pubescent low. You'll get lot's of offers from others -- they've got pounds you can borrow.
Just look at the scale as the numbers drop to a pre-pubescent low. You'll get lot's of offers from others -- they've got pounds you can borrow.
X is for X-rays
The classical alphabet answer -- it's true. But your x-rays are more intense and go by much more exciting names (ct scans, MRI's and pet scans to name just a few).
Y is for Yes
It will be your new go to word -- Yes, do whatever you can to feel good, live life and fight to be cured.
It will be your new go to word -- Yes, do whatever you can to feel good, live life and fight to be cured.
Z is for ZZZ
(or sleeping in shorthand)
Which is what you will have hard time being able to do. It's okay Be tough.
With the help of the Lord you will make it through this cancer mess, and I will too.
(or sleeping in shorthand)
Which is what you will have hard time being able to do. It's okay Be tough.
With the help of the Lord you will make it through this cancer mess, and I will too.
Now I'm off to dream of Alphabet books about babies and puppies and happier things.....but don't worry I've got the colon cancer killing pump by my side for another 36+ hours and the symptoms to match. Let's just hope that the courage, faith and strength can stay by my side too.
(And let's be honest my mom leaves on Thursday...so it could be a rough weekend, I think I will need cottage cheese and saltines to fight the sadness -- good thing we have the costco size of both!)
(And let's be honest my mom leaves on Thursday...so it could be a rough weekend, I think I will need cottage cheese and saltines to fight the sadness -- good thing we have the costco size of both!)













Not just an alphabet but pure poetry too??? I love this post!! I hope another wave of help is coming after your mom!! I'm praying for you daily, friend!!
ReplyDeleteProse! You are in our prayers and your blog gives me a peak into your fight. Keep it up Amber-- I love your honesty, especially the understand part. As we all struggle with our challenges it isn't easy to understand the why's but indeed trusting in God at least brings comfort. Love you friend!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. I don't think I could've come up with a beautiful piece of alphabet soup like this. Thank you for putting out the effort.
ReplyDeleteAMAZING just doesn't seem to cover your abilities and your attitude and your cleverness, Amber...and your faith. Heavenly Father is thinking, "Amber, Amber, Amber...I'm hearing about her so much, you'd think she was the only one on earth." There are SO many of us pleading, praying, hoping, and loving you.
ReplyDeleteThat was amazing amber! You need to write a book!! You are a beautiful writer!
ReplyDeleteAmber, you really ought to consider putting this into print. I'm serious! This could potentially help others as they and their families come to terms with the same thing you are experiencing. Even though you're going through a hard time, this could be one of those "pay it forward" kind of things, and as a perk, all proceeds can go to help pay medical bills.
ReplyDeleteAmber your attitude is so amazing which is so great for your well being and healing! In one of my hard times a good friend sent me this quote and I want to share it with you...Be so close to those you love that when they weep you taste salt. Pasternak. Know that everyone who reads your blog and those of us that know and love you are absolutely tasting salt! You continue to be in our thoughts and prayer!
ReplyDeleteNice quote that Judy sent...
ReplyDeleteLove the Alphabet Book! You are so creative!