New sort of normal
right now I don't know anything.
And NOTHING is normal.
Unless normal is watching your baby scream and cry because you can't even pick her up.
Unless normal is being 36 years old and having your parents take care of you again because you can't take care of yourself.
Unless normal is puking and pooping at the same time and then talking about it on a blog.
Unless normal is losing 12 pounds in 5 days.
Unless normal is never getting any sleep because your mind will not stop.
Unless normal is having a 14" incision up and down your abdomen.
Unless normal is not being able to talk to anyone without crying.
Unless normal is wanting to throw things and punch people in the face
(well that might be normal for me)
Unless normal is laying on the floor because it's easier to do then to get into the bed.
Unless normal is being sick to your stomach 24 hours a day.
Unless normal is meeting your outlandishly high insurance deductible of thousands of dollars in just 3 short weeks.
Unless normal is taking a walk around the 7th floor of the hospital and being out of breath just 2 months after running a 1/2 marathon at a pretty good pace.
Unless normal is meeting a new nurse every 8 hours for 6 days straight and thinking that each one of them is your new best friend.
Unless normal is spending more time going to and waiting at doctors appointments than you actually spend with your children.
Unless normal is putting on makeup and earrings because even if you look like death warmed over you just want to fake it for a minute.
Unless normal is wondering if praying is even worth it.
Unless normal is having your heart so hurt that you don't even know how it could possibly not hurt.
Is that normal?
Maybe when you have cancer it is, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, or embrace it or give in to it.
I am just trying to adjust to what the new normal will look like for us.
Is the new normal me giving up all control? Because if so I sorta hate that. A lot.
And also, I really hate it when the cupboards get left open, when the kitchen floors aren't clean, when the dishwasher doesn't get started and when people put their heads on pillows that aren't meant for heads. These thing are never changing and this will ALWAYS be normal.
And NOTHING is normal.
Unless normal is watching your baby scream and cry because you can't even pick her up.
Unless normal is being 36 years old and having your parents take care of you again because you can't take care of yourself.
Unless normal is puking and pooping at the same time and then talking about it on a blog.
Unless normal is losing 12 pounds in 5 days.
Unless normal is never getting any sleep because your mind will not stop.
Unless normal is having a 14" incision up and down your abdomen.
Unless normal is not being able to talk to anyone without crying.
Unless normal is wanting to throw things and punch people in the face
(well that might be normal for me)
Unless normal is laying on the floor because it's easier to do then to get into the bed.
Unless normal is being sick to your stomach 24 hours a day.
Unless normal is meeting your outlandishly high insurance deductible of thousands of dollars in just 3 short weeks.
Unless normal is taking a walk around the 7th floor of the hospital and being out of breath just 2 months after running a 1/2 marathon at a pretty good pace.
Unless normal is meeting a new nurse every 8 hours for 6 days straight and thinking that each one of them is your new best friend.
Unless normal is spending more time going to and waiting at doctors appointments than you actually spend with your children.
Unless normal is putting on makeup and earrings because even if you look like death warmed over you just want to fake it for a minute.
Unless normal is wondering if praying is even worth it.
Unless normal is having your heart so hurt that you don't even know how it could possibly not hurt.
Is that normal?
Maybe when you have cancer it is, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, or embrace it or give in to it.
I am just trying to adjust to what the new normal will look like for us.
Is the new normal me giving up all control? Because if so I sorta hate that. A lot.
And also, I really hate it when the cupboards get left open, when the kitchen floors aren't clean, when the dishwasher doesn't get started and when people put their heads on pillows that aren't meant for heads. These thing are never changing and this will ALWAYS be normal.
So, forgive me while I try to come to grips with the new normal around here cause it's sort of a struggle.
Post Edit: For those of you that don't know and love Eric like I love him you should know that he would do ANYTHING for me. Anything to make this new normal go away. So, when I tease about us fighting over heads on pillows and dishwashers getting started, I know that it is all me -- trying to cope with a hard situation in the best way I know how, and he is the most patient person on earth to put up with all the irrational conversations, requests, craziness and tears. He tries to help me see rationally, he apologizes (which he always does first -- like days before I do) and holds my hand and loves me through my crazy, which there has been plenty of lately. Honestly, he loves me like I don't always deserve to be loved and puts up with a lot more from me than trivial things like dishwashers an pillows -- and if we are being honest, It isn't really about heads on pillows or dishwashers--It's about fear and love and losing total control of the life I loved.
Post Edit: For those of you that don't know and love Eric like I love him you should know that he would do ANYTHING for me. Anything to make this new normal go away. So, when I tease about us fighting over heads on pillows and dishwashers getting started, I know that it is all me -- trying to cope with a hard situation in the best way I know how, and he is the most patient person on earth to put up with all the irrational conversations, requests, craziness and tears. He tries to help me see rationally, he apologizes (which he always does first -- like days before I do) and holds my hand and loves me through my crazy, which there has been plenty of lately. Honestly, he loves me like I don't always deserve to be loved and puts up with a lot more from me than trivial things like dishwashers an pillows -- and if we are being honest, It isn't really about heads on pillows or dishwashers--It's about fear and love and losing total control of the life I loved.
And also, how exactly do I let go of that life........



Oh my gosh those same things drive me crazy too! When so many things are out of your control, trying to find anything you can control seems very "normal" to me! Men don't always get that. Plus they just want to fix things and not worry about little things. Glad to hear your home. Crying and screaming and throwing things seems perfectly acceptable!!!
ReplyDeleteSo, who wants to be normal? BORING.
ReplyDeleteActually, I am not one to write about "normal" as I have not been normal a day in my life.
Don't believe me? Ask anyone and they will tell you - Jeff is not normal.
I can openly admit that I am Abby Normal.
Question: who is the normal that we are comparing ourselves to?
Is there a normal response to cancer or anything else for that matter?
When you find a new/old or forgotten normal will you send it my way so I can definitively declare -- this is not normal!
I refuse to be normal.
Uncle Jeff
Yes, wanting the dishwasher started, and not wanting Eric to use the pillow with the decorative pillow sham is normal! Those pillows are DECORATIVE. Decorative means only that!
ReplyDeleteYou're wanting to keep order, involving things everyone else doesn't seem to care about. THAT'S normal because that's what moms DO.❤❤❤❤
I know you don't know me Amber. And I'm not going to pretend that I know what it's like to have cancer. Know that I'm thinking about and praying for you, every day. Take one day at a time, love on your husband and babies as best you can, and know they love you too, as well as the rest of your family and friends.❤❤❤
Yes, wanting the dishwasher started, and not wanting Eric to use the pillow with the decorative pillow sham is normal! Those pillows are DECORATIVE. Decorative means only that!
ReplyDeleteYou're wanting to keep order, involving things everyone else doesn't seem to care about. THAT'S normal because that's what moms DO.❤❤❤❤
I know you don't know me Amber. And I'm not going to pretend that I know what it's like to have cancer. Know that I'm thinking about and praying for you, every day. Take one day at a time, love on your husband and babies as best you can, and know they love you too, as well as the rest of your family and friends.❤❤❤
ALL of the feelings, the frustrations, the anger, feeling out of control, etc. are completely normal for what you are going through! Nothing you have listed here is surprising because it is exactly the same as what others in your situation have felt.
ReplyDeleteThere are times in life when repeating "It will get better" after every thought we have is the very best thing to do. And it's perfectly fine when that is ALL you can do. I have been there. I know. And, I know it's hard to believe while you are in those circumstances of extreme sickness, exhaustion, and emotional pain. But, it DOES always get better...usually at the point when you think you cannot take any more.
I love you and am praying for you, Amber. This blog you are writing is already such a strength to me! -Deanna Terry
Reading this reminds me of when my little girl went through chemo. Finding out new normal was difficult and the definition what normal looked like changed on a regular basis. Chemo sucks ! Being sick sucks! New normals get you through. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteReading this reminds me of when my little girl went through chemo. Finding out new normal was difficult and the definition what normal looked like changed on a regular basis. Chemo sucks ! Being sick sucks! New normals get you through. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteReading this reminds me of when my little girl went through chemo. Finding our new normal was difficult and the definition of what normal looked like changed on a regular basis. Chemo sucks ! Being sick sucks! New normals get you through. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love you so much Amber. You're learning what many of us don't ever learn... to let go... It's just plain hard. I think that's why we're here... to learn to let go, and let God. Let go... relax... have faith... let go some more... do some yoga and breath... let go... so your body can focus it's greatest energies and attentions on getting healed, while God heals your soul. Praying for you mightily EVERY SINGLE MOMENT my dear friend. Love you so much.
ReplyDeleteI think it's 100% normal to try and preserve normality in a life that has been turned upside down. You shouldn't give up on everything. Keep fighting for the little things! I love you Amber!
ReplyDeleteGIRL!!!!! You are one Tough Cookie that would give MOST Texas girls tough competition-EVEN NOW!!!
ReplyDeleteYOU WILL FIND ALL that is Needed and Normal? in time...
So many Praying for you when you are too tired or a little doubtful/angry to do it yourself...We ALL WILL STAND IN THAT GAP FOR YOU! FOREVER!
~~~ and as for NORMAL- HA! “I don't do normal. I have a reputation to uphold." [HAHAHA!!]
PS-I DO KNOW HOW TO START DISHWASHERS tho...and I KNOW what to use on FLOORS to get them SPOTLESS..Plus I know HOW to cover pillow Shams with Pillow cases if needed.... ;)
Let us ALL do the heavy lifting...you have some HEALING to do! FIGHT ON GIRL!! EVERY DAY...and we WILL DO WHAT WE CAN along the way ....LOVE YOU AMBER!!
CALL ME ERIC! I'm finally in town again ;)
My Mom and Dad can absolutely relate to this. You are not alone in these feelings and I love that you are brave enough to share them and let them out. I have been reading some articles in the August Ensign that I have thought of you while reading them. When you are ready to read them I highly recommend: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/08/accepting-the-lords-will-and-timing?lang=eng and https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/08/young-adults/rooted-in-christ?lang=eng. Also, I made you something which I will drop off at a convenient time for you. Hang in there girl.
ReplyDeleteAmber as I read your blog my heart literally hurts. You are such a talented strong person. It's ok to feel the way you feel. It's ok to try to have some control in your life that feels so totally out of control. I don't think any of us can even imagine what you must be going through right now but just as someone said Eric is a man and he does what men do and that is try to fix things for you. That's what husbands and Moms and Dads and family do because they love you so much. And they hurt when you hurt. I remember when Ashlyn was going through radiation they told her to visualize the radiation fighting (like soldiers) and killing that cancer. The mind is a powerful thing and it's amazing what our thoughts can literally do for our bodies and our health. If I could I would take your cancer for you for a day or more so you could be normal for that day and I'm sure your friends and family would do the same thing if we could but we can't. There's only one person who can carry you through these tough times and that is the Savior himself because He HAS experienced every single thing that you are experiencing right now so He could know how to help you. Stay strong dear friend. Hang in there and know that you are loved and prayed for daily.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Amber. ❤️ new normals are never fun to adjust to... This one is a doozy for sure. You're totally normal!! Praying for you always.
ReplyDeleteMy love <3 and prayers go out to you. I know it doesn't sound or feel normal, but exactly what you are saying is Normal losses felt grieving. I remember mourning/grieving the life I planned for our daughter when I found out our second had Down syndrome and other MAJOR health complications (this after 5 miscarriages & infertility). I mourned like I lost a child. I lost a dream. But, I gained something too. A journey that took me a little while to appreciate and even love the story I look back on because that story brought in some of the most incredible people in our life. It's ok to hate, cry, fear, whatever feelings that come up because of cancer. Even feel jealous, envious, pride, whatever. It's part of the normal grief cycle. Heavenly Father has allowed us to feel all those normal, very difficult feelings, one feels in these losses for a reason. Maybe it is like Peter when we walk out on water and start sinking, just so we reach for him to safely help us through. So we know to whom we rely. Need. Maybe it is just so we can experience greater joy when we reach for him and renew faith in a different experience. Maybe it is so those we love can develop from our leap of faith (whether chosen or not, but nonetheless we get to experience). You are wrapped up in many people's hearts and prayers. Including our family Amber.
ReplyDeleteAre you related to Beth Ostler from Orem? She'd be about 40 now. I'm thankful this life is only 1 second to all of eternity, Something I'll never forget learning in seminary at Orem High.
ReplyDeleteAre you related to Beth Ostler from Orem? She'd be about 40 now. I'm thankful this life is only 1 second to all of eternity, Something I'll never forget learning in seminary at Orem High.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of looking forward to what you'll make of your new normal! If you want to call me I'll do my best not to cry. 😊
ReplyDelete